Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FOR LENT, I’M GIVING UP…

STOP! That’s not the way to go when you want to start a healthy lifestyle.  It’s like one of those “zone” diets, magic pills, tae kwon bo flex machine, whatchamacallit90x program, or… YOU GOT THE IDEA! Its short-term success and I know you don’t want that. You want to make a change! That’s why I’m here to help.  

For the next couple of weeks (leading up to my 5k on Saturday, March 19th), I will be writing about the five (5) points to success that will lead you to a healthy lifestyle.  

Five (5) points to success:
1.      Drink plenty of water
2.      Eat well (Healthy)
3.      Be Active
4.      Warm-up, stretch, & exercise
5.      Rest

POINT 1 -  DRINK PLENTY OF WATER:

But not during your workout.

Have you ever had too much water during a workout? You probably answered this question because you heard *swish swish* echo through your stomach while you were jogging, or doing a sit-up.  I hate that too! Avoid it by drinking water before, and after your workout. I like to carry a half-gallon water container (I own a few), so I can drink water at anytime.  You may not like the idea of carrying a large container; however, if you exercise regularly, then your body will crave water. 

Remember that today’s water will keep you hydrated during tomorrow’s workout.  Soon you’ll be exercising without taking a sip of water. However, this does not happen overnight, and it’s something that is built upon.  If you need a sip of water during your workout, then get it!

If carrying a half gallon water container is too much, then carry a 32 oz water bottle.  Make it a habit! I replaced my juice, and soft drinks with water. Juices and soft drinks are composed of at least 26 grams of sugar. Sugar will become fat when you do not exercise.  Hence, water is a strong foundation in starting a healthy lifestyle because it has zero calories. Besides keeping you hydrated, water also cleans your liver.  

Raise your glass, and cheers to your new lifestyle!

Please consult with a doctor before starting an exercise plan or diet. 

1 comment:

  1. You're right Luis, its a lifestyle change for damn sure. I've been yo-yo dieting with my weight since I was in high school. Now that I'm in my 30s, the fat doesn't drop off like it used to. And the last thing I wanna be, is one of those dudes craving a 12pack for the weekend with my big azz beer belly. Its already big enough as it is with my fast food and soda addiction, and yes, I said soda addiction. So, this water thing is going to be a challenge for me cuz I don't drink water, ever. But I'm tired of being "husky" man, lol and yeah, I've been starting to take naps in the middle of the day...not good. :( Sooo, watching you shed off the pounds Luis, thats freakin awesome, here's nothing more motivating like seeing results 1st hand! Thanks for sharing bro!!! :D

    ReplyDelete